Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tropical Fruits/ Black Sapote





Here in S.W. Florida we have many islands, and I have the pleasure of working on one of them - Pine Island. This island has many different aspects of life, one minute you could be in a place that reminds you of old Florida, and the next you could be on a street over looking the Charlotte Harbor. I have been out there for approximately one year, and I have never opened myself up to see what the island really had to offer me. I have always noticed tree farms along the Islands main road. After, talking with one of my customers about a strange looking fruit/vegetable on the counter, it piqued my interest. It resembled an oblong cantaloupe, and upon asking what it was, the lady explained it was a Mamey Sapote which is a tropical fruit sold at one of the local markets. For about a half hour, she went on to tell me about so many more tropical fruits that are available on the island. At the end of my visit, she had given me one of the mameys to take home. Mamey sapote on the inside has the color and taste of a sweet potato and with a hint of sweet pumpkin. So, this is what started my deep curiosity of tropical fruits.

Black Sapote, (pictured above) looks sort of like an over- sized green tomato with a brown interior and a hint of a chocolate taste. This tropical fruit intrigued me with the chocolate flavor. I figured it would definitely please my wife, Heidi to have a healthy chocolate substitute. Well, not so fast my friend, as everyone knows, women know and respect their chocolate and there is no substitute (my wife told me so). My mistake was letting her try it in it’s raw form, right out of the skin and not whipped and topped with cool whip, which I heard is really good. I would add a couple of spoonfuls to my cereal in the morning and it made the milk taste like chocolate. Some other variations include adding chocolate chips, adding it to milkshakes, adding it broken up with a health bar, and also adding it to pies, which I will try next.

Sapodillas were my next fruit treat to encounter. This little thing is a oversized looking Kiwi, but the inside is so far from that of a kiwi. The way the women at the market described it to me was a pear rolled in brown sugar. Let us not forget all of the taste and descriptions I have described mirror natural flavors in these fruits. Sapodillas fruit in the raw taste really good; especially with blackberry cobbler ice cream! I’m sure you could add this tropical delight to any pie, shake or any other ice cream you desire. We had an extremely long cold winter, leaving the fruits about a month behind in ripening. This gives me lots of extra time in the coming months to try a lot of fruits.

There are lots of different fruits and vegetables out there that are native to your area. Just in our little piece of paradise, one single market, they grow their own fruits and some of those include over 6 different types of bananas, 30 types of mangoes and various organic vegetables.

I hope this little information on different tropical fruits that I have shared with you, will lead to you trying some unique fruits of your own. Then you can carry on this healthy fresh produce information along to other people, so that they too can try new things and expand their experiences with food.







Here in S.W. Florida we have many islands, and I fortunately work on one of them named Pine Island. This island has many different aspects of life, one minute you could be in a place that reminds you of old Florida, and the next you could be on a street over looking the Charlotte Harbor. I have been out here for approximately a year, and I have never opened myself up to see what the island really had to offer me. I have always noticed tree farms along the Islands main road, but that’s it. After, talking with one of my customers about a strange looking fruit/vegetable on the counter and it peeked my interest due to the fact of what it looked like (oblong with the outside resembling a cantaloupe), so I asked what the heck it was and she explained it was a Mamey Sapote which is a tropical fruit which is sold at one of the local markets. For about a half hour she went on to tell me about so many more tropical fruits that are available on the island. At the end of my visit she had given me one of the mameys to take home. Mamey sapote on the inside has the color of a sweet potato and the taste of one and maybe a slight taste of a sweet pumpkin. So this is what started my infectious curiosity of tropical fruits.

Black Sapote, (pictured above) which somewhat looks like a over sized green tomato, and on the inside is brown and has a hint of a chocolate taste. This tropical fruit was very interesting to me due to the fact of the chocolate factor, I thought chocolate, then thought Heidi would love me even more than she does now since I would bring home a healthy chocolate substitute. Well, not so fast my friend, as everyone knows, women know and respect their chocolate and there is no substitute. My mistake was letting her try it in it’s raw form right out of the skin and not whipped and topped with cool whip, which I heard is really good. I would add a couple of spoonfuls to my cereal in the morning and it made the milk taste of chocolate. Some other variations are to add chocolate chips, make milkshakes, broken up health bar, and also made into pies which is what I am going to try next.

Sapodillas were my next fruit treat to encounter, this little thing is a oversized looking Kiwi, but the inside is so far from that of a kiwi. The way the women at the market described it to me was a pear rolled in brown sugar, lets not forget all these taste and descriptions are all natural flavors in these fruits. Trying sapodillas in the raw do taste really good and especially with blackberry cobbler ice cream! I’m sure you could add this tropical delight to any pie, shake or any other ice cream you desire. We had a extremely long cold winter so the fruits are a bout a month behind, so in the coming months I will trying a lot of fruits. I forgot to mention is that at this market they grow there own fruits and some of those include over 6 different types of bananas, 30 mango’s and organic vegetables.

I hope this little information on the tropical fruits that I have shared with you, will lead to you trying some unique fruits of your own, and then you can carry on this healthy fresh produce along to other people so they can try new things and expand their experiences with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment